2013 has been a challenging, rewarding, and beautiful year. It has seen me:
- explore Argentina, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Iceland, Spain, Canada and Japan;
- launch my own hosted / produced / edited weekly travel series How Two Travelers, which has over 100,000 subscribers and fans across social media;
- receive my first EMMY nomination, for shooting PBS series Rocky Mountain Experience;
- produce A&E’s Storage Wars New York, and an as-yet-unannounced new survivalist show for Weather Channel;
- get ambushed by Heineken in its viral “Departure Roulette” campaign, dropping everything to travel to an unknown destination;
- host and produce promo videos for Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts and American Airlines;
- act as “Travel Guru” for travel search engine Expedia’s online video “Hangouts”;
- act as on-camera host / explorer for NowThis! News, Yahoo!Finance, & Vagabondish;
- win Best Television Pilot at Nevada International Film Festival for producing PBS show Rocky Mountain Experience; and,
- return to Miami University as one of its top 18 alumni from the past 9 years.
(Exploring the Highlands during Iceland’s endless summer)
It also saw me:
- reconnect with old friends;
- learn to dance Tango;
- try to be a morning person;
- say goodbye to my childhood home;
- scuba dive the continental divide between North America and Europe;
- get hit by an SUV during a morning run, then experience a difficult, but full recovery;
- lose family members;
- gain new ones;
- work with honeybees;
- surf with an Olympian; and,
- say “Yes!” to my fella on a stroll along a pier.
(A sign to lure you in….)
And finally, 2013 saw me:
Face opportunity, fear, loss, and love, and greet each one with all I am, and all I intend to be.
For all those reasons and countless more, 2013 has been a challenging, rewarding, and beautiful year.
And for all those reasons I am grateful.